A development with strong historical connections, the site was originally developed in 1883 as the stables for the Winstone carting business. With a Historic Places Trust category 1 listing over the original Stables building, new owners wanted low maintenance and a lengthy commercial life for the rest of the site. Site 3 was developed as a mixed use development of 6000m2, designed as a series of carefully placed new buildings inserted around the historic stables.
The new Site 3 structures have exposed steel frames in deference to the timber used on the stable building. Site 3 includes distinctive window shutters developed specifically for the project, closed they form the skin of the building and when open they create an infinitely variable exterior/interior environment.
NZIA Resene Award for Architecture, Heritage 5 Conservation Category, 2001
NZIA Resene Award for Architecture, 2002